Our maths curriculum is ambitious and aims to prepare our children for lifelong learning.
At Godstone Primary and Nursery School, the purpose of Maths is that all children make the most progress possible whilst also enjoying the subject. We wish for them to be confident and fluent mathematicians and will give them opportunities to achieve this. Maths is such an important subject in the outside world and has so many links to other areas of both education and life. Therefore, we want to provide a Maths curriculum which allows children to understand all areas of Maths and allows them to apply it confidently and successfully in their everyday life.
Godstone Primary and Nursery School aims to:
- Promote a mastery approach to the teaching of mathematics through the proven White Rose Maths scheme.
- Provide a wide range of useful resources to support learning and aid the ‘Concrete, Pictorial, Abstract’ approach of WRM.
- Provide children with opportunities to reason and problem solve in their Maths lesson using a systematic and logical approach.
- Encourage fluency in calculation with an emphasis on arithmetic through daily practice and weekly tests.
- Enable children to extend their learning at home and in school through the educational apps, such as Times Table Rockstars’.
- Promote and encourage a love of the subject through an annual ‘Maths Day’ and various prizes and certificates.